Thursday, August 11, 2016

Slowing Down and Becoming Patient versus Impatient with Your Creator

Have you ever been impatient with someone or worse, with God? Take a look at the devotional below:

1. God has waited patiently for me to respond when he asked me about my covenant with the church which my lead pastor signed.
2. I know that my friend Erik needs to know Jesus. I can pray for him by asking for a soft heart in that area of Salvation. I can remind him of Christ's love for him even though he is upset because he wants to see his baby girl. 
3. This verse talks about being holy and living godly lives in order to speed the Lord's coming. 


2 Peter 3:11-14 NIV
[11] Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives [12] as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. [13] But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells. [14] So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him.
1 Samuel 16:1-13 NIV
[1] The Lord said to Samuel, "How long will you mourn for Saul, since I have rejected him as king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and be on your way; I am sending you to Jesse of Bethlehem. I have chosen one of his sons to be king." [2] But Samuel said, "How can I go? If Saul hears about it, he will kill me." The Lord said, "Take a heifer with you and say, 'I have come to sacrifice to the Lord.' [3] Invite Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show you what to do. You are to anoint for me the one I indicate." [4] Samuel did what the Lord said. When he arrived at Bethlehem, the elders of the town trembled when they met him. They asked, "Do you come in peace? " [5] Samuel replied, "Yes, in peace; I have come to sacrifice to the Lord. Consecrate yourselves and come to the sacrifice with me." Then he consecrated Jesse and his sons and invited them to the sacrifice. [6] When they arrived, Samuel saw Eliab and thought, "Surely the Lord's anointed stands here before the Lord." [7] But the Lord said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." [8] Then Jesse called Abinadab and had him pass in front of Samuel. But Samuel said, "The Lord has not chosen this one either." [9] Jesse then had Shammah pass by, but Samuel said, "Nor has the Lord chosen this one." [10] Jesse had seven of his sons pass before Samuel, but Samuel said to him, "The Lord has not chosen these." [11] So he asked Jesse, "Are these all the sons you have?" "There is still the youngest," Jesse answered. "He is tending the sheep." Samuel said, "Send for him; we will not sit down until he arrives." [12] So he sent for him and had him brought in. He was glowing with health and had a fine appearance and handsome features. Then the Lord said, "Rise and anoint him; this is the one." [13] So Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon David. Samuel then went to Ramah.
1 Samuel 28:1-25 NIV
[1] In those days the Philistines gathered their forces to fight against Israel. Achish said to David, "You must understand that you and your men will accompany me in the army." [2] David said, "Then you will see for yourself what your servant can do." Achish replied, "Very well, I will make you my bodyguard for life." [3] Now Samuel was dead, and all Israel had mourned for him and buried him in his own town of Ramah. Saul had expelled the mediums and spiritists from the land. [4] The Philistines assembled and came and set up camp at Shunem, while Saul gathered all Israel and set up camp at Gilboa. [5] When Saul saw the Philistine army, he was afraid; terror filled his heart. [6] He inquired of the Lord, but the Lord did not answer him by dreams or Urim or prophets. [7] Saul then said to his attendants, "Find me a woman who is a medium, so I may go and inquire of her." "There is one in Endor, " they said. [8] So Saul disguised himself, putting on other clothes, and at night he and two men went to the woman. "Consult a spirit for me," he said, "and bring up for me the one I name." [9] But the woman said to him, "Surely you know what Saul has done. He has cut off the mediums and spiritists from the land. Why have you set a trap for my life to bring about my death?" [10] Saul swore to her by the Lord, "As surely as the Lord lives, you will not be punished for this." [11] Then the woman asked, "Whom shall I bring up for you?" "Bring up Samuel," he said. [12] When the woman saw Samuel, she cried out at the top of her voice and said to Saul, "Why have you deceived me? You are Saul!" [13] The king said to her, "Don't be afraid. What do you see?" The woman said, "I see a ghostly figure coming up out of the earth." [14] "What does he look like?" he asked. "An old man wearing a robe is coming up," she said. Then Saul knew it was Samuel, and he bowed down and prostrated himself with his face to the ground. [15] Samuel said to Saul, "Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?" "I am in great distress," Saul said. "The Philistines are fighting against me, and God has departed from me. He no longer answers me, either by prophets or by dreams. So I have called on you to tell me what to do." [16] Samuel said, "Why do you consult me, now that the Lord has departed from you and become your enemy? [17] The Lord has done what he predicted through me. The Lord has torn the kingdom out of your hands and given it to one of your neighbors---to David. [18] Because you did not obey the Lord or carry out his fierce wrath against the Amalekites, the Lord has done this to you today. [19] The Lord will deliver both Israel and you into the hands of the Philistines, and tomorrow you and your sons will be with me. The Lord will also give the army of Israel into the hands of the Philistines." [20] Immediately Saul fell full length on the ground, filled with fear because of Samuel's words. His strength was gone, for he had eaten nothing all that day and all that night. [21] When the woman came to Saul and saw that he was greatly shaken, she said, "Look, your servant has obeyed you. I took my life in my hands and did what you told me to do. [22] Now please listen to your servant and let me give you some food so you may eat and have the strength to go on your way." [23] He refused and said, "I will not eat." But his men joined the woman in urging him, and he listened to them. He got up from the ground and sat on the couch. [24] The woman had a fattened calf at the house, which she butchered at once. She took some flour, kneaded it and baked bread without yeast. [25] Then she set it before Saul and his men, and they ate. That same night they got up and left.
1 Thessalonians 4:15-17 NIV
[15] According to the Lord's word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. [16] For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. [17] After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.
2 Peter 3:9 NIV
[9] The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.


Why do you think I am telling you this? I am doing so because at one point or other in our lives, we have been impatient with man and with God.

Well, I hope you and I learn something from this study. Thanks!

Blessings!

f8009887dd7de197ccf01b86c631d1b9--be-patient-god-is.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment